Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Resort Preference: Port Orleans French Quarter

Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort is a moderately priced resort situated along the Sassagoula River. French Quarter is a small, intimate resort boasting a colourful Mardi Gras theme. Rooms are available in standard, garden, and water view, and either smoking or non-smoking. There are also king bed and handicap accessible rooms available.

Standard rooms overlook the parking lot, garden view rooms overlook the interior courtyards of the resort, and water view rooms offer a view of either the Sassagoula River or the pool. The rooms are approximately 314 square feet in size. All guest rooms offer either one king bed or two double beds, a table and two chairs, a dresser with a television, a refrigerator, a padded bench with a shelf and hooks above, two sinks, a tub and toilet, and a clothes rod with a shelf above.

Port Orleans French Quarter offers bus service to the parks and Downtown Disney. We liked that it was a smaller resort that you could walk to the pool, food, front desk, and transportation stops. It made it much more convenient to get what you wanted and where you wanted to go. The buses were just right. Never had to wait too long, they were not overly full and with only 1 stop, there was no waiting around on the bus while you stopped to pick up more people. Bus transportation was wonderful - I don't know if we just hit it right every day or what but we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. Had no problem with the buses while leaving the parks at night either. Everything runs like a well oiled machine. Resort was smaller and therefore not crowded or noisy.

The resort also offers a boat ride along the Sassagoula River to the Downtown Disney area. French Quarter is connected to Riverside by the Sassagoula River and a walkway along the river. This is a very relaxing and romantic walk to take in the evening.

Doubloon Lagoon is French Quarter's themed pool area. It features a sea serpent themed slide where the actual slide is supposed to be the serpent's tongue! The pool area also features a number of alligator statues that shoot out water. A jacuzzi is also available. The slide closes and the lifeguards go off duty at 10:00pm every night. There is plenty of recreation available at Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter. Bike rentals are available until 5:00pm daily and boats can be rented at the Riverside marina. There is also a fishing excursion in the Sassagoula River available as well as cane poll fishing. An arcade is located in the main building.

Rooms:



Grounds:

Feel free to leave your lists of Pros/Cons below and let me know what you think!

7 comments:

...Laura... said...

The slide looks awesome. I like the idea of the smaller resort- less walking in b/w things is probably better when you're just wanting down time from all the walking at the parks.

Anonymous said...

totally. I think that we can use the pool at the "other side" of the resort (a separate resort called Port Orleans Riverside). It does look like Frech Quarter has a small playground as well, so that is a plus over Pop Century.

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/590/draft_lens2313709module12846967photo_1228163718disneyportorleansresortpool.jpg

http://www.mpimages.net/wdw1/compressed/Resort_Hotels/Port_Orleans_Riverside/13Playground-holland.jpg

...Laura... said...

Hmmm... I'm thinking POP looks best- there's almost a $1,000 difference b/w staying here or there.

Anonymous said...

I think that with this deal I am trying to swing, I can get 30% of moderate resorts, though. I say that we let the boys decide, since $ isn't the issue. They would be about the same since I am trying to combine offers/deals.

I think that Hayden, once we get there, won't care. And the extra 60 square feet will be nice when you factor in the port a crib for Ginny. Let's see what the boys say.

...Laura... said...

So I read on that website you linked me to (disney w/ babies), and it said mini fridge can be rented for $10/day at moderate resorts... I thought I saw that the POFQ had mini fridges available... Any chance we can check on this and find out for sure? Having a fridge is not necessary, but would be really helpful w/ Ginny's formula bottles.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the for sure have fridges. Even our value resort last year had a fridge and we weren't expecting that. When I call and try and get our rooms closer together a week before (and request a room in building 7-- which may be renovated by then, I think), I will double check with the resort. For now, I am going by this--

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2347065&highlight=pofq+fridge

Anonymous said...

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/port-orleans-resort-french-quarter/

It lists the fridge on the official website as well, but I will call and confirm before we go. =)