Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What to Expect From the Kids

The fun thing about kids is they are ALWAYS changing their habits, attitudes, etc. The bad thing about this, is it can be really hard to know what to expect when you go somewhere or do something new.

Virginia is usually a happy little thing and generally causes no problems at all. I still have not found any problems with her riding or sleeping in the stroller. She still can't hold her own bottle, so that is something she'll need help with, though she has no problem eating when anybody feeds her. She's also starting to eat solids, so I will try and feed her those at the restaurants while we are waiting for our food. Pretty much anyone can hold her or talk to her and she'll stay happy... unless she has a stinky diaper... then you'd better change her or get used to her fussing at you!

Hayden is getting a bit more brave, but he still seems to do best with trying new things if he gets lots of encouragement from someone who he thinks is cool (ie: not mom and dad!). This means lots of overly excited and encouraging prompts will need to be made from Evan/Paula on probably every ride... (hopefully by day 2 or 3 he will no longer need this, but you never know!).

Hayden is in the "Can I have that?" and the "I need" stage. Mostly, he seems to "need" liquid refreshment every 5 minutes of every day. Sometimes less frequently when he's having fun, distracted, or sleeping.... but as soon as that ends, you'd better bet he'll be asking! We really try and limit how much he is having b/c of potty training reasons. At the same time while we are doing lots of outside activities, we like him to stay hydrated, so if he wants a drink, we encourage him to drink a lot (not just a sip or two), then shortly after send him to the bathroom.

Public bathrooms scare Hayden. He is afraid of germs. Just remind him he can stand up for #1. He is still not good about going to the bathroom on his own, especially when he is having fun, so I think the best thing to do would be to send him to one whenever we pass one (if it's been at least 30 min. from the last time), or see if he will go while he's waiting for others to finish their attractions. Sometimes he will say he doesn't need to go, because he doesn't want to, but we just have to remind him that as soon as he goes, he can come back to whatever fun thing he didn't want to leave. He is pretty good at holding it if he needs too... You'll know by his dance that you've run out of time! He's also not so good at the #2 on the potty. No current solutions to this at the moment, and seeing as he'll only have 3 days of Preschool before we go, I'm not counting on that to work quite yet. Basically, if he needs a Pull-ups change and cleaning, just use your awesome ability to channel only good air in and avoid the bad air, until Dirk or I can take care of it! Unless of course you want to brave it for us ;)

Hayden will throw tantrums if you push against him. It is kind of a fine line between not enough discipline and too much. Right now we are working on something that seems to really be working. Instead of getting angry when he does something wrong, we try to keep kind/loving sing-songy voices and say something like "uh oh... Hayden isn't being very nice, guess it's time for a time out." It sounds funny at first, but it seems to work. We'll put him in time out for 4 minutes, giving him minimal attention. We'll tell him he needs to go to time out until he is ready to be nice and apologize. Sometimes he's super fast about it, sometimes he puts up a good fight. If he's tired and needs a break, he'll put up a huge fight. I'm thinking our breaks after lunch should make this pretty okay for him (I hope!).

He usually has much better behavior when we are out and about and keeping busy. He'll probably be fine the first few days, then after we've been there for a few days, he'll start getting more comfortable with the routine and might start trying to get away with more.... Or he could do the complete opposite!

Basically, you have our permission to do what we do whenever needed. Generally it's easier for him if only ONE adult is working against him at a time. So if Dirk is disciplining, I will back off and vise versa... He gets really upset and confused if lots of different people are telling him different or same things at the same time...

So writing this all out makes it seem like our kid has tons of issues! I think he'll have lots of fun and be pretty good most of the time. He does well with long stretches, even when he's tired. I'm really excited for him and to see how he enjoys everything!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information! I don't think Hayden is weird at all... he is just a kid! Thanks for the tips on what to expect with both. Its good to know about the discipline thing. My family is the opposite. You have to present a united front. Good to know about getting upset vs the sing songy voice as well. Definitely something to remember.

We will watch you for the first few days to see what you discipline and what you don't, how you address things etc. For the first few days we will just try to distract him/keep him excited so issues are avoided. =)

Another good thing is that the rides on the first day are all rides he can go on. Soarin is the first ride, there is the Nemo right, Turtle Talk, etc. I was also going to try and fit in one ride at MK the night before, so talk to him and see what interests him. It is his choice! It will probably be Dumbo-- that is what all the kids want to ride! However, the line might be long by that time at night... who knows? Maybe we could have him pick 2-3 during dinner and we can see what has the shortest line.

I love Ginny's diaper indicator cry. Hilarious! I am totally up for changing her, but I can't do Hayden. He is too big and it would be too weird.

It's good that we have the camelbak's for "liquid refreshment"! Frequent bathroom breaks are great. We will all be drinking a lot, so I am all for that! I think that if we are all going to bathroom and establishing a routine, it may help. There won't be a question, we are all going. It may be good to establish a routine of going potty at the beginning and end of every meal.

Thank you so much for the post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I will do my best to help. Diapers don't scare me at all. I will also be sure not to interject when one of you are taking the lead with Hayden.

Laura said...

Thanks you guys! Yeah, Paula, I don't expect you to want to change Hayden... he's too big for me! At home we usually just hose him off in the shower b/c wiping a kid the size of a 5 year old is just wrong!

That's a good idea about choosing a ride for the first night. We've watched a few of the rides on you tube. I'll try and find some of them for Hayden to choose from.

Laura said...

p.s... sorry for the uber-annoying lack of paragraphs!!! I don't know what's up with blogger, but I spent forever trying to fix it and just gave up!